Friday, October 29, 2010

IT DIDN’T SURPRISE ME!

The other day I stopped at a McDonalds to get a cup of coffee and sit for a little while. As I sipped in the mid-morning quietness of the otherwise busy franchise, there were only two other people sitting in the place, both older men. One was busily working on a laptop, and one was working with a pen at a separate table.


I like to watch people and it comes from my college days when I traveled to school on the train, and I extended that habit when I became a professional designer and worked in NYC. When the hours were long, and the trains delayed, I would whip out my sketchbook and draw unsuspecting people, and later, after I was finished, give it to the person. I found that people were very receptive and happily appreciative whenever I did that kind of thing. I used to do it especially if there was a pretty girl around, and it was fun to get their reactions.

The two older gentlemen were doing their things in the restaurant, as I sipped and watched cars go by and thought about whatever occupied my mind that day. Suddenly I had a sense that I was being watched! Looking around, I caught one of the old men studying me and he looked like at first he was scribbling notes. Then it occurred to me what was happening, HE was sketching ME! He realized it as I looked directly at him, and he continued like nothing had happened.

Halfway through my coffee, the old man got up from his chair, and slowly with great difficulty, walked over to me carrying what looked like a napkin! Speaking with a little difficulty, he said to please forgive him and handed me a drawing he did on the napkin.

I have never been given the honor of being a subject of another artist. This was a treat for me! I thanked him, and we talked and I told him that I was an artist too. This drawing will be one of my personal treasures! It made me feel so good, I think I’ll go back to doing it myself.

Now, where do all the pretty girls hang out, and why did I draw them???

No comments: