Friday, October 15, 2010

STEPPING OUT

Of my mind!

On our recent visit to Chicago, TLW (The Little Woman) and I went to what once was known as the Sears Tower, now known as the Willis Tower. The building at: 233 S. Wacker Drive, stands over 110 stories tall, and our job was to journey by elevator to the 103 floor, better known as the: “Skydeck”!

Once you enter into the elevator, you climb at a rate that takes you 103 stories in less than one minute’s time! Upon arriving, it is an amazing view, as you can look out and see on a clear day, 4 different states!

But the best part is something very unique, and it is something not everyone would appreciate. Taking one side of the building’s windows, an enclosed platform made only of glass, 1 and a quarter inch thick sticks out of the building! Actually there are a few of these, all on the same side of the structure. It is what they the owners of the building call the: “Skydeck”.


TLW, my very brave wife, refused to go near the window, let alone the Skydeck. I on the other hand, as you all know by now, am in need of some mental observation, decided to step out. Oh, I was a little apprehensive as I pushed one foot in front of the other, but I did summon up enough courage to step out, and 1.) Open my eyes and 2.) Look down! It is a very exciting thing to do, and the trust I put into both the glass, the builder of the Skydeck, and my bowels was amazing! The feeling of looking at the building from the other side of the wall at 103 stories is something else. Looking down, you kind of have a temporary feeling that you will fall or drop. I had that same sensation almost 40 years ago in a church in East Islip.

Once you get used to it, which is almost immediately, you feel like experiencing it more, and a giddy sensation comes over you, one that says: “DON’T HAVE TO CHANGE MY UNDERWARE!”

I did manage to get TLW to shoot a picture of me by 1.) Setting the camera to zoom lens so she could be close enough, and 2.) Got her to open her eyes long enough to take the picture!

No comments: