Monday, June 18, 2007

WHAT I HAVE

Its’ funny how the details are clear but the big picture is fuzzy. 36 years ago, and the days leading to the big event, I can remember but the big event, the wedding itself remains foggy, almost a mystery to me.

I recall with almost precise detail, the day before the wedding, working at my first job, finishing it up and giving it to my boss before leaving for the day, the last time as a single man, going off to get married and traveling on a fantastic honeymoon to Europe. My boss, Jack Stern, looked at the design package I did and said it was the best thing I had done yet!

Leaving the office early and on a high note, I took the train to my bride’s house to visit her, being how I left my car at her train station in East Islip in the morning, and how she had already taken her leave from Mobile Oil on 42nd Street. I found her ironing!

That night I went home, had dinner with all the guys in the wedding party and got into an accident on the way to rehearsal at the church! Never once did I consider it a bad omen, since it wasn’t my car, and I wasn’t driving.

After the rehearsal we all went to TLW’s (The Little Woman) house for a little party and an exchange of gifts between TLW and me.

The next morning, my whole family left for the church, without wakening me from a deep slumber, only to be awakened at 10:30 by my best man, knocking on the door. We dressed, went down to my Dad’s bar in the basement, had a shot of scotch and drove to the church, St. Mary’s where they removed my singleness forever. I remember TLW coming down the aisle, the moments before waiting behind the alter for the ceremony to begin

I recollect the drive to Land’s End for the reception in the limo, but it all became a blur to me except for the three drinks I had going at once, one given by the reception hall, one by my boss, and one from my friends. I finished all three, no point hurting people’s feelings on your wedding day.

I recall all the happened after the wedding, the drive to the airport and seeing people on the Southern State going home after the wedding, the seat assignment on the plane and some of the flight to London, England and flying over Ireland to England and as we approached the Heathrow Airport, looking out the port hole and watching a car racing along a English country road, yet the whole day, in spite of the details still remains blurry!

But I guess in the end, when all is said and done, what I have is better than clear memories, I have a wife who is best suited for me, one in which I am extremely fortunate to have, and she knows it, and if I could have to choice to do it over again, I most certainly would, I would have her sweet smile and beautiful face all over again, with all the happiness and joy that comes with her.

No comments: