Saturday, February 05, 2011

AN EYE ON THE STORM


It was a cold and snowy day, the wind was biting and the roads were icy, so naturally everyone cut off each other, raced to occupy spots in the traffic that looked like there was room for one more car. I call this: What else is new?

Arriving at the eye doctors office, the parking lot, snow covered and empty was easy to negotiate, and entering the building the office was empty.

A receptionist was the only one in the building as I signed in, so I sat and waited, being 15 minutes early.

“You aren’t here!?”

“I’m not? Where am I?”

“I don’t know, but you canceled!”

“Are you sure? I don’t remember cancelling!”

“No, I have a phone message from you, YOU canceled.”

“Well, I did call, but I called to hear if you were opened, I didn’t say anything on the phone. I just listened.”

“Well, maybe I am having trouble hearing the message, it is garbled, but a Joe did cancel.”

I watch as the rest of the crew arrives, and some patients, and soon I’m called in.

After a while, THE DOCTOR comes in, his highness filled with his self importance, he nods a good morning.

“You came in this weather!”

“Sure, why not, you just take it easy and you can make it.”

“I got a lot of cancellations today, the big babies.”

“I guess the elderly get nervous in this weather”

“Bunch of nanby-panbies, a little wet weather or a cloudy day and they stay home! Big babies. Well, we are done here, stay out of trouble, and please be very careful, it is very dangerous out there.”

!

1 comment:

Jim Pantaleno said...

Joey D. (AKA The Hood) ain't ascared a no stinkin' snow.