Monday, February 21, 2011

THAT TIME OF THE YEAR



It seems wherever I go these days; some poor soul is suffering from cold or flu symptoms. I notice it to be mostly older folks, and it always seems to take forever for them to shake it off!

I yearn for the good old days, when if you caught a cold, your youth and vitality helped you fend it off, nowadays, to fight a cold off, youth is a new bottle of Jack Daniels, and it is vital to take more than one shot of it.

Of course, before I was married, my Mom was the one who would watch where I went, with whom, and what I was wearing.

“Where are you going?”

Me: “Outside, to play with my friends.”

“Dressed like that?”

Me: “What’s wrong?”

“I’ll give you what’s wrong, it’s freezing out there, and you’ll catch a cold! That’s what’s wrong.”

Me: “But Ma, I have a coat on.”

“BUTTON THAT COAT, AND WHERE ARE YOUR BOOTS AND HAT. LOOK AT YOU, ARE YOU CRAZY???”

Me: “OH MA, I’m fine.” (I didn’t want my friends to see a dork, with a hat with earflaps, gloves, boots and scarf, even if it would make me very comfortable.)

Sure as heck and we all know how sure that is, except me, I would always catch a cold!

“Nice! You went out without a buttoned coat, no hat, no gloves, and what did you get?”

Me: “A cold?”

‘YES A COLD!”

Actually, it has been scientifically proven that cold weather, even with wet feet or clothing will NOT cause a cold!

No comments: