Tuesday, February 08, 2011

THE JOYS OF GETTING OLD


If I can just remember what I wanted to write about.

When I was a child, and forgot something, I was distracted. When I became an adult and forgot something, I had too much on my mind. Today when I forget something, I am getting old.

I can sit in one room, think of something to do or get in another room, get up, walk half way there, and forget why I got up! I can read an article in a newspaper, put the paper down, go back and have to read it all over again!

I look at old pictures of myself, and then look into the mirror, and wonder: How the hell did this happen!?”

TLW (The Little Woman) often yells: “THAT’S BECAUSE YOU DON’T LISTEN TO ME!”

Maybe, but I think I just forgot, I am getting old, after all.

Driving has now become a fun event for me, I find like I’m living on the edge, with all the nuts on the road these days, with their SUV’s and big trucks, pulling up behind me, their lights in my mirror of my Prius, and my deliberately slowing down to frustrate them and make them go around me. Then I let loose with a verbal suggestion that Mom would use the wooden spoon on my head for.

Speaking of driving: I never go anywhere without my GPS, cell phone, and two aspirin. The aspirin is for when I get lost. I now ask for directions when leaving the house, you never know.

When it is my turn to cook, I am getting old, trying to not fuss, not make a mess, and very little pots and pans, let alone eating on paper plates as a plan of action.

Getting under the sink, or down on my hands and knees, TLW is helping me up, or I am helping her up. Shoveling snow this past storm, my back hurt, and then I went to a birthday party for My Cousin Vinnie, and was so sore, I couldn’t even dance!

In my office, I put things away for safekeeping and immediate retrieval, only to forget where I put things when I next need them!

Funny how I can remember details of things long gone by!

1 comment:

Jim Pantaleno said...

Do not go gentle into that good night. (I forgot who said that.)