Saturday, December 09, 2017

AH! NOTHING LIKE TRADITIONS


 
As I look back in my life, there was so much I took for granted that I never realized how much it was part of my life! There are traditions like eating a salad after the main course, pizza on a Friday night, steak on a Saturday night. There is pasta or macaroni on Sundays and with marriage, the corned beef and cabbage of TLW’s (The Little Woman’s) heritage.

When the boys lived at home they had to decorate the tree, and talk about each ornament they made, each picture of Santa that they sat for.

As a child, my family went to Grandmas for Easter and Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve. Those were the family holidays and they were great, seeing cousins and aunts and uncles I didn’t usually see.

So, there are times when I seek some comfort food, the food that I took for granted, foods that I had were so deeply rooted in me. And that food? Pasta Faggioli, the dinner of champions and hungry Italian Americans. Good for you because the taste seeps into your bloodstream while the pasta and beans coat your stomach, all feels grand and you are complete. It is one more borrowed day from Mom’s fabulous kitchen!

No comments: