Saturday, December 30, 2017

HOW AMAZING!


It’s been a long time since I heard the pitter-patter of little feet running in my house. I wondered if as an old man, I would appreciate the clamor and noise of a child taking over the house. As much as I wanted this to occur, I wondered if it was real.

I have discovered that my granddaughter is life itself, that her pitter-patter has given me new life and love beyond my expectations! She is cool, loving and sweet. Darby Shea is everything any grandparent would want from their grandchild.

Her maturity astounds me, she can create a game from simple things and does so with rules and direction. Her Mom for Christmas gave her a little toy donut among the many gifts that cascaded upon her, some complex and colorful, yet all day she gravitates to the donut, something she preferred playing with. I tried to figure out what was so great about this cheap little toy she enjoys so much and realize: all the complexity of the other toys no match for her imagination and creativity, she needs to be challenged and to be creative. The donut is a chance for her to be just that, creative. She rolls it, tosses it, runs a stick through the hole in it and creates little games that seem to amuse her.

Now the best part, she is very understanding and considerate, she is like a little princess, with sunshine, birds singing and the sweet aroma and color of a field filled with flowers. I am a lucky grandpa, but then again, look who she has for parents.

No comments: