Sunday, October 06, 2019

GRANDCHILDREN

Yesterday I was a grandchild, borne out of the lineal heritage baked in Italy and transferred to America a long time ago. When I think of Francesca and Raffaelo I think of steel and concrete for that was what they were made of. They were the steel rods and concrete blocks that were built to bless me with this great country. Their memories are aligned in my soul and solidly in my heart and are the monuments of my life.

I see them still as a grandchild, I hear their chatter in Italian and their broken English reminds me that I am their grandchild. They called on God so often I think God spoke Italian only. I went to their church on occasion, a place built with Italian material and hand labor and I saw the little bit of Italy on a majestic corner of Brooklyn called Sackman Street with the Madonna, Our Lady of Loreto.

I can still hear their gentle voices urging me to do something for them, whatever it was and my jumping to the honor. I can still see the ring adorned hand of grandma pinching my cheek, maybe smell the freshness of picked basil or a rustle of my hair from Grandpa and the ever-present dollars slipped into my hand with a finger raised to their lips” “Shhh… no teller anyone!”

I cried when they passed and realized they would never pass this way again, no more Sundays with sauce, cousins and laughter and the steady beat of Italian ringing through my ears, never… to come my way again!

Then one day I started to wish for grandchildren and there they are, the sweet gentle products of two people in love. They may not be all Italian but they are blessed to have it in them, fortifying their lives for all things beautiful: love, music, art, dance, laughter, song, and theater that stems from those two beautiful people from that place called Italia.

I will spoil them, I will give them all they want and will try to help them seek all they need, pausing only to wonder in amazement what God has rendered through Francesca and Rafaello. I hope they take pride in their heritage from all their nationalities as I hope they never forget that part of them that is red, white, and green.



 

No comments: