Thursday, October 10, 2019

RETIRED OR RETRIED?

A book I wrote, A PLACE CALLED BROOKLYN

Way back in 2006 making a move that changed my life, I retired. At the end of July, I was a free man or so I thought. I recalled my first day as a young pup in an ad agency where I started as a graphic designer and sat in my office at my last job on the last day and tried to remember and savor the moment. For sure I thought I would never have to work a computer graphic program, write a piece of copy, or ever plan a campaign or see a client again. I was leaving as a creative director with nothing but great memories and times.

I also sat remembering all the meetings I attended in suits and ties that would no longer be needed, the countless weekends I thought about what was on my desk and what I took home with me for the next day’s battles. I wondered how all this would feel. No more Sunday afternoon blues that started around 5:00 PM and carried into the ongoing evening, as I went to bed.

My first job at an award ceremony that I won!
Of course, I dreamed about the coming days and the wonderful freedom I would experience for the first time in my life. How Sunday night would be just like Friday night or Monday morning would also seem like Saturday morning. I would be free.

So I thought.

Today, I find myself with business meetings, squeezing things together to meet deadlines and facing new challenges. Instead of allowing all the expensive programs to lapse into outdated I am buying new ones or updating the ones I have.

I now have more meetings and business lunches than I need and frankly wish it will all end. The problem seems to be me, I love the creative challenges that can come my way and can’t say NO to any of it!

I’m afraid that I will stop being relevant to the World and myself if I stop doing what I love. What makes me happy and continue to do so is just plain stupid love. When I love I fall hard. Be it a wife, child, or grandchild, and I can include friends, which is what happens.

So, I am a retread, someone who is reinventing himself a little more until the day comes I am a complete vision of what I want to be and close my eyes for good.







 

No comments: