Saturday, October 05, 2019

THE OCTOBER SUN

I took a few days away from the usual routine of sitting with my daughter Ellen and decided to go to a wedding we were invited to in Cape May New Jersey. Cape May is on the very southern tip of the Jersey state and one of my favorite places besides Burbank, Ca. The town has a very festive mantle to it, more so than say, Mystic, Connecticut.

As I drove for four hours there seemed to be a constant battle with the sun, and I never experienced that before. It seemed to do battle with me as I took to the open road heading down to the Cape.

The October sun has always inspired me to do creative things. There is briskness in the air and a sense of eagerness. Fall sunshine is unique in that it seems to have a quality all its own. It shines forever in your eyes and doesn’t let go. It gives off a super bright shine that seems to accentuate the shadows that fall from the trees and concentrates on my eyes.

When I worked, the days after labor Day seemed to mark the end of the casualness of summer days with the promise of relief from the heat and humidity leaving all with the promise of restful nights sans air-conditioning. It also meant the back to work routine and sadness usually reserved for Sunday nights before a workweek. The days are becoming comfortable and the energy level goes up a few notches. New things begin such as reading or cooking or painting or even writing.

But the drive down south to the Cape was something different. No matter where I drove, in any direction the sun seemed to battle me, making it difficult to read the dashboard digital readouts, the small fine type swallowed by a glare that had no mercy. As I drove the car in front of me had the sun bounce off its rear window and reflect directly into my eyes. If that wasn’t enough, as I approached a road sign that gave a direction or location it was always directly in front of the sun, blinding me.

Happy Autumn, and I hope your Fall is fantastic!




 

No comments: