Sunday, February 16, 2020

ONCE THERE WAS SEARS AND ROEBUCK…

Getti image

But now there is only Sears, maybe!

The digital world has cast a long and hard shadow across my universe. It seems that everything I once held as sacred and indestructible is starting to fall under the swath of the Internet. Newspapers are feeling the bite of Internet instant news, and now the brick and mortar stores of yesterday will soon be no longer.

News of Sears, one time the go-to place for the average household to purchase decent gods such s clothes and tools will be a thing of the past. The giant retailer, once known as Sears and Roebuck has retreated gradually through the years. The giant from Chicago has slowly relinquished its brand in various ways. Roebuck was released one day like an old baseball player, sent into retirement before spring training. It is now known as Sears.

The Sears Tower is no more, replaced by another moniker: the Willis Tower, a 110-story, 1,450- skyscraper in Chicago, Illinois. It is the same building, and to me will always be the Sears Tower.

Years ago, I worked for Sears indirectly by working for a retailer of children’s play clothes, that helped me pay my way through college while starting in high school. Tuition, transportation, art, and photography supplies were costly for someone without money but with a job. It was Sears that existed and so, now I exist, as I am, great full.

When I married and was more hands-on, when a special tool was needed to do some chore around the house, I went to Sears. Someone in my family needed to get me a gift for some holiday or occasion, they went to Sears.

Once they produced a catalog that was as thick as a city phonebook, filled with all their products, clothes, tools, toys, and other things that kept me amused as I thumbed through the multi-colored shiny sheets, fulfilling my humble dreams. Now that is gone along with Mr. Roebuck!

Amazon.com has made great inroads into retail purchasing by saving you time, money, and aggravation of parking your car after a trip to the store or mall. From your easy chair, you can do all shopping “On-line” and never touch your money or feel guilty as you stop at Cinnabon. This, of course, follows up with delivery to your doorstep. LIFE IS GOOD, NO?

It’s not.

Goodbye to newspapers, magazines, and retailers as they slowly fade away. Never again will I experience going to the mall, seeing all the pretty girls and window-shopping with an ice cream cone in hand and the vibrant life of a store or mall.

No comments: