Friday, February 14, 2020

VALENTINE’S DAY AND THE TRASH!

Yes, they do go together as you get older.

On our first St. Valentine’s Day 48-years ago, the romance was leftover from after our courtship and marriage ceremony. Eight months earlier, we walked the last mile to merge our lives into love and adventure, unity for all, and devotion to, the other.

That evening, as I sat at my kitchen table for dinner after delivering flowers and candy to the one I love, I was presented with a gift from my young and happy bride.

It sat in a flat box maybe 8” X 10” and was wrapped in white paper with red hearts. Being my wife Ellen was so good at selecting ties, having bought me beautiful silk, dark blue with red poker dots tie as an engagement gift, I hoped this was another! The tie complimented my Edwardian suits making me look every bit the successful advertising executive, compliments streamed from young and old alike!

I opened the box and there sat a pair of boxer shorts! BOXER SHORTS! I wondered. I pulled out the shorts and printed on the shorts were a bunch of cash registers chinking out hearts rather than dollar signs and the words: ‘LOVE HITS THE JACKPOT’!

This year as we age like fine wine or some old smelly cheese, we have dispensed with presents and I make her a fancy dinner, (Lobster with her favorite vegetables and bacon-wrapped shrimp with stuffed jalapeno peppers for tonight) and she gave me her card, a rather sensible, almost utilitarian card that mentions all the things I do that translate into love. Throwing out the trash was listed!

No comments: