Sunday, December 15, 2013

NEW YORK OR CHICAGO PIZZA?

-->
This past spring, I spent some time in Chicago with my two sons. During my culinary experiences in the city with the big shoulders, I got to experience the cuisine that is the center of Chicago life.

Most of the meals I had at lunchtime were in plastic red baskets with a waxed paper on the bottom, fries and some kind of sandwich or finger food. But I knew I needed to try the famous Chicago pizza, so off the Miracle Mile we found this sports bar and ordered the pizza.

Now we all know how great the pizza is in New York, the originator of pizza as we know it in America, or really: New York. I’ve been to Los Angeles, and there is no pizza there. If you venture to San Francisco, you might get a good pie, and have since learned that there is no other place like New York for good pizza.
Chicago Deep Dish made in Canada

But I was determined to have ‘Chicago’ deep-dish pizza and so pulled up to a table with my two sons and roll the dice. A young lady took my order and I excused myself to use the men’s room. When I returned I found my deep-dish pizza waiting for me.

Now pizza has to have a flavor that comes from the oven alone. Everyone has experienced the crispy dough, the flavorful taste that greets the pizza eater in that first bite. Then you get into the gooeyness of the cheese and the garlicy flavored sauce that tops it off and finishes the savory experience.
Real Pizza

Did you ever build up the anticipation in your mind of how something will taste? We all do that and when we do we discover that we are disappointed. Being it is a one-man pizza, it is cut into four slices, and I carefully extract the first slice, and carry it into my mouth. I bite down and it is like kissing your sister! Nothing, just a dough bucket with melted cheese, no flavor, no crunch, and no garlic taste.


As I chewed on the slice, my face must have indicated my disappointment as #1 Son said to #2 Son: “See, I told you he wouldn’t like it!”

In New York, like everything else it offers, it even offers many kinds of pizza. There’s Neapolitan, Sicilian, Grandma, Margarita and three of the four come form Naples! Maybe if the Chicagoans put some pasta in the deep dish and gave up on pizza, all would be well! Or maybe they need Papa John’s. Ugh!

Chicago deep-dish pizza needs to stay in Chicago. It’s probably made in Can

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MY BABY SISTER FRAN! 

On a cruise to celebrate as you read!
 

No comments: