Friday, December 13, 2013

WHAT A HOLIDAY SEASON!


With the news that my granddaughter is on her way, as you can imagine we here are awfully excited. A lot of things go through my mind that pop-up suddenly. One of the things I like about this whole thing is telling people!

The other day I was visiting Mom, and she of course weighted in with her observations. One such thought was that the generations continue, that life is indeed going on. Driving, I thought about the fact that this solitary child, unborn yet and even not named, is turning life around for me. One of the things I hope for is that this little girl will grow up loving her dad as much as her mom loves her dad. It is a wonderful thing to witness that a grown woman still loves her dad into adulthood, to have a special bound and still enjoy each other. That is beautiful! Indeed it was a special day when we went to Disneyland with TLC (The Lovely Courtney) and Roger her dad, and like it was someplace in time, and they never aged, enjoying their time together.

You never know how long each of us has on this earth, but if I live to see a grandchild, then I have lived a full life and I consider that a blessing. Looking back I often think of my father and how much he loved his grandchildren. Dad would do anything for his grandkids, it didn’t matter which one, loving them all the same! If he only knew his namesake was on the verge of becoming a father, it would have made him unbearable to live with.

Many years ago on Christmas day, we would as a family gather on Fulton Street in Brooklyn and celebrate the day. It was a day rich in Italian food, the Italian language and grandchildren. All this stemmed from one 16 year old when she came to this country in 1910. From her oldest child Anthony, I think a wonderful family was created that carries on a tradition of love and respect for one another. I hope my son and I’m sure he will: will create such a family himself. He has all the tools, a wonderful wife, a soon to be beautiful child (how could she be anything but?) and a great potential to be a dad like my daughter-in-laws’ father was to her.

Enjoy this season, I know I will.

3 comments:

Diana said...

As I'm wiping the tears of joy after reading this blog, all I can say is , "beautiful, well put , and so true Joseph. God Bless!

Anthony said...

Nice blogue! We're excited, too!

-#1 Son

Jim Pantaleno said...

Anthony must then have two amazing role models to look up to in learning to be a good father. He can't miss.