Tuesday, December 10, 2013

AND THE ‘EYES’ HAVE IT.


An 'Official' message
On the last Tuesday of the month, I attend a board of directors meeting for AHRC Suffolk. This is an attempt to keep out of trouble and go somewhere safe. This gets me out of the house while TLW (The Little Woman) attempts to change the locks.

Every month a few days before the meeting I receive a packet in the mail that includes the minutes from the last meeting among other things. It is my job to review and if necessary if I see something I feel is incorrect make note of it. There was something to note.

There on page 14, third paragraph down started the paragraph with a reference to me, a misspelling that made me sound like a vegetable!

Off to the meeting I go, armed with righteous indignation and my driver’s license showing the correct spelling of my last name. I was confident.

The meeting is called to order, the prayer read and roll call completed. We now turn our attention to the minutes of the last meeting. Our distinguished and very competent president of the board, one Jim McEneaney then inquires:

“Are there any corrections to the minutes if the last meeting?”

I raise my hand and state:

“Page 14, paragraph three.” Not a word is heard from the 19 or 20 people sitting around the long table. I continue…

“In spite of what you may have heard about me from my wife this past weekend, about all the football I watched, I did not vegetate (The room is now laughing, realizing the spelling) nor should you take my complexion into account as a indication of who or what I am.”

It is important to set all the records straight, dot all the ‘I’s and cross all the ‘T’s, kind of have all your ducks in a row, and above all: avoid cliché’s.

PS, it wasn’t 'couch potato' I was referring to.

No comments: