Sunday, December 01, 2013

IT DON’T GET BETTER


turn on the jets and gas them!
I think I’m going to stay in bed from Saturday nights through Tuesday mornings. The reason for this un-sociable behavior is the world of sports, and my rooting interest there of. Why should I witness or read about it the next morning?

Some people are lucky in football teams and some, like myself, not so lucky. Some people are lucky in their baseball teams and some like myself, not so lucky. Then there are people who thrive in their hockey team, (You know who you are Roger) and some like me, not so lucky. To beat the odds this season in basketball, I figured I would root for two teams: if one falters, the other would take me to the finish line. Not so, they both stink.

I guess I am paying for the idea I have for a kind of bobble head doll I was thinking about. Instead of bobble head, I was thinking about a bobble hands doll. It would be made in the image of Bill Buckner, and sold exclusively in New York.

Losing another in the knick of time
Anyway, there is this curse in New York sports and the teams I root for. In the big metropolitan area of New York City, the city that never sleeps, where if you make it there you can make it anywhere, with all the teams it offers, two in every sport, I keep picking the wrong team.

I am the Rodney Dangerfield of team sports: they get no respect!

This past Sunday, November 24, I sat through not one, but two football games. Well one wasn’t a football game, it was a practice for the Baltimore Ravens, using the New York Jets as tackling dummies, a game that the Jets lost in the first quarter when they stepped out onto the field, and the second game, a heart-breaker for the New York Giants that assures them a seat on the couch for the Super Bowl.

The house that Marv Thornberry built
As I sat watching these two teams, leading candidates for the Toilet Bowl, I kept my eye out for the baseball free agency goings on, which would elevate my Mets into contention. The General Manager is having trouble with his phone, and can’t seem to get in touch with any free agents!

I have decided to turn the standings upside down in the NBA so that my teams look like they are in first place. Both teams were predicted to lead the league this season with draft picks, trades and free agent signings. You can’t expect to win if you draft from the cemetery!

That leaves with my hockey team, which also leaves me cold, and on an island of loneliness in last place.

Go Islanders, to Brooklyn that is!
Starting today, I am relieving myself of sports and the interest thereof, devoting myself to ballet. It is athletic, there is no disappointments or failures. I don’t need to look at the standings and fret, throw my hat at the TV because of stupid plays and talentless players with poor strategies, and having to hear others gloating as their teams are winning and mine making it possible. When the Macaroni Man comes over on Sundays, he will get a steady diet of Bolshoi and macaroni from now on. Really.

No comments: