Monday, December 30, 2013

OH BABY!


What a pretty grandma!
The coming of my beautiful granddaughter has grandma in a stir. She can't pass a store that sells baby things without stopping in, I haven’t seen the woman this happy since I used to go to work for 12 hours a day!

Being a grandparent for the first time must be a lot like being widowed and going on a date for the first time. It is all so new and yet you’ve been there before. You walk into the store and they hit you immediately with these cute little outfits that say things like: ‘I’m cute, Mommy’s cute, Daddy’s lucky.’ They don’t stop there of course; ‘I love Grandpa’ goes right next to it!

I asked TLW (The Little Woman) if she acted like a kid in a toy store when it came to buying our first kid's clothes and she said No, we couldn’t afford it back then. She has made up for it for all four kids we've had with her first granddaughter.

I have never seen TLW so out of control as she goes from rack to rack (Yes, off the rack, we can’t find a tailor) filled with joy and happiness as she selects stuff both practically and playfully. She even questions the wisdom of a playfully drawn elephant in a ballerina skirt on a pink shirt, wondering if it is too much. I assured her and said think about how funny that is, and thought about this very large but sweet sales girl over 6 feet tall and maybe 350 pounds in a ballerina skirt standing near by, and realized, this elephant thing is funnier than I thought! (You can direct your indignation right in the comments box and I will be happy to ensure it is read.)

She said at one point, I’m going to the store, won’t be long, I need to get a gift certificate. She was gone about one and a half hours, loaded down with bags of children or infant clothing!

I’ve decided not to just jump in and scare the kid, no, I will introduce myself, shake her little hand and ask how’s she doing, just to ease in and not make her nervous. This is one child that will NOT be told to put on her Pajamas and go to bed, like I did to all my children, nieces and nephews.

Oh happy days! I will be a grandfather! She will be smart like her mother, beautiful like her mother, and I'll figure something out for her father, I still have time yet.




2 comments:

Diana said...

All I have to say is, "keep up the good work Ellen! Shop, shop, shop!!! LOL!! "

Anonymous said...

Most of the presents under our tree this year were baby clothes!!! We think (and shop) alike!
Roger (fellow future-Grampa)