Saturday, October 28, 2017

IT'S-A LONG ROAD TO SARATOGA SPRINGS

Believe me.

One of the worst things in life for me is driving long distances.

This year like last year and all the years past, when I drive upstate for a state governance convention, it rains. Instead of seeing the beauty of the fall painted on the trees and mountains, what I see is the streaks of water and the gloom of the grey clouds, the occasional hidden patrol car and the countless trucks that invade my space on the road.

This year seems to be the year of the little girls in their cars and SUVs as they tailgate while I'm doing 75, maybe 80mph. They won't let go and I won't move over for a road bully. They take it up to 90 as they pass me and give me a look, I blow them a kiss.

It seems that there are endless highways going up into the sticks I thought, then I realized the roads are really going the other way, toward civilization. No one goes upstate, they leave upstate. When I worked for a large sweepstakes company, First-prize was a week in Upstate NY. Second-prize was two weeks in upstate NY.

Once you are near the town you are going to, the traffic slows down, it becomes a one lane road and everyone ahead of you is making either a left to right turn that makes you wait for them and the next red light. God, I hate it.

I was considering taking the train, but that would be worse. Without a car, I am stuck in nowhere and at the mercy of a bumpkin schedule maker, like one train every three days.

Getting to the Hilton is a drag. Registering is a nuisance and the best part of it is the lobby of this hotel that is hosting a state-wide meeting for people with disabilities is that it has ‘ramp' that you have to go way out of your way to get to the front desk!

Other than that, things seem ok.

No comments: