Thursday, December 28, 2006

LIFE’S MYSTERIES SOLVED

Did you ever have an issue that frustrated you to the brink of distraction? Last year or the early part of this year, I purchased a Mac 17” Titanium laptop for TLW (The Little Woman) as I was tired of running upstairs to assist her whenever she wanted to go on line. I figured I could assist her better from my easy chair with a ballgame or movie on as need be with the laptop, and not miss a play or moment in doing so.

This masterminded move on my part meant that I now needed to purchase a wireless router, which also meant that I needed to familiarize myself with the way to unite #2 Son’s computer which is a PC and my Mac system! I went out and bought a Netgear wireless that refused to stay on for long. I was constantly rebooting the modem and router to re-establish contact with the outside world. In my frustration, I went back to the router I had originally purchased, a Linksys that was a wired router that ran both the Mac and PC. Needless to say TLW was unhappy about the whole situation since she could not get on anymore.

To alleviate TLW’s frustration, I went to store after store, asking geek after geek and expert salesperson after expert salesperson on why these terrible things were happening to TLW’s computer. I had answers such as “the router is notorious for that,” “do you have a wireless phone?” and “You need a stronger router.” I decided to go with the later, as TLW requested I get her a stronger router for Christmas. This request was about $150 requesting plus another $15 (shame the customer) for a service warranty. I explain to the salespeople at Radio Shack that I have a Mac, mentioning it several times for emphasis, and going through my tale of woe and I make the purchase after repeated assurances that “this will work.”

I bring it home, wrap it and carefully place it under the old tree. She opens it Christmas morning, says; “Thank you” and I promise to set it up. “Are you sure this is going to work?” “Yes” says I, as I feel the confidence building, the excitement unbridled in my chest, I was a confident man! Off she goes to church as I begin to assemble the router. “Start here” it says, pointing to the CD disc in the box. I stick it into my computer. “No hablo Mac!” I desperately look at the box, I read the system requirements “For Windows 2000 or higher” it states in 4 point type. Those bastards at Radio Shack don’t know what they are talking about.

Meanwhile, #1 Son is home for the holiday. He is getting on with his laptop like nobodies business. I can’t understand it! He’s starting to make me feel like a schmuck. Then he tells me that he has a card installed that boosts the range of his computer, he is receiving someone else’s signal!

I go back to Radio shack, get my money back, drive to an Apple store and buy an AirPort Extreme Base Station, state of the art, $216 beauty that makes TLW very happy, and if she’s happy, I can watch that ballgame in some peace! Thank you Son #1.

No comments: