Sunday, December 03, 2006

MOST DANGEROUS MISSION

About a week ago TLW (The Little Woman) informed me that we had to paint #2 Son’s room. Of course I was frightened at the prospects but knew it must be done, and that someone had to do it.

My first inclination was to look for a paid volunteer, but even for money, no one would put his wellbeing on the line.

I went to the town for the necessary permits and to the Health Department for the necessary shots. A man has to do what a man has to do.

I told TLW I was going in. There was a tremor in her voice and a tremble in her lips as she tied a long rope around my waist and I kissed her goodbye for what I thought would be the last time. I told her if she didn’t hear from me every half hour to call 911 or the fire department to come and get me if it wasn’t too late.

Slowly I stepped over the threshold, measuring each step as I went, waiting, anticipating some horror to rear out at me and perhaps to swallow me whole. Slowly, step-by-step by step I threaded through the jungle of uncertainty and disconcertment that greeted me. Feeling my pulse quicken with each step I took, unable to sustain another breath.

Suddenly I came upon a pile of living breathing clothes, socks that were multiplying before my very eyes, pants that danced around me and shirts that laughed and defied me to take action!

Upon the walls were diagrams and cave like drawings, slogans and satanic verses that defied reason for any mortal to comprehend. I was at the abyss, the darkened hell of a teenage sons room: I was scared.

Slowly I pulled out my drop cloth, fumbling for my stirring stick, taking solace in my 5” wide brushes, I was going to overcome my fear, I was going to beat back the monster, I would come out of it alive!

A prayer was forming on my lips, as my courage came back to me. I had been here before, I was not afraid, having faced these very demons once before. I was facing the legacy of a ghosts past, #1 Son!

Well we painted, and I got out alive, and let me tell you that after 4 days of prep, painting and cleanup, maybe next time I’ll take the demons.

No comments: