Monday, December 18, 2006

MY 88 YEAR OLD MAMMA

I’m 61 years old and feel like a kid! That’s because of my 88 year old Mamma. It seems she is indeed a very active “young” lady, with lots of chestnuts in the fire. For instance, she volunteers for a local hospital. Her job wheeling out discharged patients, who as they are leaving complain to her that when she gets to be their age, she will have all these ailments too. She will ask how old they are, they tell her, (Some a good twenty years younger) and she tells them, “What are you complaining about, you should be wheeling me!”

Now I know for a fact based on experience, that the doctors at this hospital are a little concerned about Mom, in that she is taking away their business, and giving suggestions for recovery. “Oh you’ll be just fine, take two aspirins and get busy.” When I was growing up, and I was throwing up, bleeding, limping with headaches, upset stomachs (sometimes all at once!) she would say: “Oh, you’ll be just fine, take two aspirins and go to school.”

The latest news is that being she is a widow for over 15 years, she now has a boy friend. (Did I say “boyfriend”?) In reality she has a gentleman friend, a very nice man who I happen to like a lot, hope they continue to be friends. Being her son, aside from the dangers it posed as I was growing up from her swift retaliation for any wrong doings, it is a little disconcerting at first they hear that “Mom has a boyfriend!” After I met him for the first time, she seems a little more giddy, girlish, kind of “Mind your own business, you are not too old for me to smack around it this gets out of hand by you.”

This gentleman is about 86 or 87, with a nice pleasing manner and good looking, who treats her with the respect she deserves. He pulls out the chair for her, helps her with her coat, etc., all the things a gentleman does.

Did I say about 86 or 87?

Hey Ma, are you robbing the cradle here or what?

No comments: