Sunday, January 20, 2008

LUCY VAN PELT

As I see it, no married man is an island: there is his wife.

It was Tuesday, the day TLW (The Little Woman) was waiting for all her life. No, she had other Tuesdays in her life, but this one was special. It was the day she would visit the Grand Canyon!

We awakened very early that day, TLW and me were ready by 5:30 AM, because the Pink Jeep Tour guide was coming to get us at 7:00 AM sharp. We were to take a private tour of the Canyon in the luxury of a high wide windowed van, with plenty of heat and comfort. Captain chairs that leaned back to sleep in, blankets, water bottles, and a lunch at the top of the Canyon at El Tovar’s.

“All my life I dreamt about seeing the Grand Canyon. I can’t wait to see it. I hear it is BEAUTIFUL!” said TLW.

Well we got there all right. Two hours of climbing a mountain and passing through Flagstaff, the area covered in snow about 7 to 8 inches worth.

Arriving at the first site of the tour, we all got out of the van and looked at the magnificent view, the breath-taking view that was one of a kind, the Colorado River, snaking it’s way through the floor below. The snow was glistening off of the peaks and crevices of the canyon rim, as we viewed the northern edge from our vantage point on the southern edge.

Suddenly, TLW was nowhere in sight! My God, did she fall off the edge? Would I have to pay full price still? Do I sell my car and keep hers? All these questions were racing through my mind. I started calling: “TLW” “Ellen” “Mrs. Del Bloggolo”

Finally, after five minutes of a casual hunt, there she was down the road, reading one of the markers that described the area.

As we drove to the next vantage point, we all got out and went to the edge where we had a fence in front of us, and about 10 feet of surface before you got to the actual edge. TLW’s eyes were closed. CLOSED! “All my life I dreamt about seeing the Grand Canyon. I can’t wait to see it. I hear it is BEAUTIFUL!” said TLW, remember?

Couldn’t get her to open them, At this point, she starts to berate the tour guide: “Why don’t you have higher fences and protection, so people don’t fall in? Huh? Huh? This from a woman who saw the Grand Canyon with her eyes closed! Thanks for the suggestion, Lucy.

Sorry to hear I lived to write about the Grand Canyon, wished I had fallen off the edge? Then write to: joedelbrocclo@yahoo.com, tell him: “The Grand Canyon would have been grander, if you fell into it.”





No comments: