Saturday, March 12, 2011

A DAY AT THE DELI

The other day I was in the supermarket late morning after a meeting to pick up a few things that The Little Woman (TLW) wanted. Being it was near noon, I was hungry and thought about what I had at the house. I decided to go to the deli and get some sliced roast beef with cheese and make a sandwich with horseradish.

I give the woman behind the deli counter my order and she cuts the cheese (No kidding) and offers me a slice. I take it and eat it, and while munching this woman comes over, stands next to me and says:



“I feel like a sandwich with a nice roll, with mozzarella cheese, roasted peppers and I’m not sure if it should be salami or sopressata (sic?) on it. What goes best?”

Being taken by surprise, and feeling like I should be behind the counter slicing, I offer my opinion.

“Well, I like sopressata myself.”

She looks in the direction of the counter and the woman looks back and says:
“Yes, it does go best!”

Looking at me the woman behind the counter says: “Ya wanna try some?” looking at us both.


Me, being a gentleman that I am, will not lower a woman’s expectations if she has food to give out.

“Why sure!”

She cuts me about 4 slices of the salami and I think: “Too bad she didn’t wait awhile with the cheese.”

Looking at me, she asks: “would you like to try the Jarlsburg we have?” Handing me my order, I say “Yes” to her question, and she cuts me 2 nice slices! So standing there in the course of 5 minutes, I got a few slices of Swiss cheese, 4 slices of sopressata and 2 slices of Jarlsburg!

As I leave the deli department, I wonder why I bothered to buy the roast beef and Swiss. I didn’t eat the lunch I planned that day!

No comments: