Sunday, March 06, 2011

WHAT WE REALLY SHARE AS FRIENDS


There is absolutely nothing that I can say that I mirror my buddy Phil in. He and I are totally different; no cultural, professional or personal traits make us alike, other than we love each other. That is what makes this friendship so great! He introduced me to his culture, his way of life, and I did like-wise for him.

But there are many things we share, things we learned from each other, and things we gave each other. I never liked to make friends for the sake of making friends: I feel that I want quality, not quantity. Phil has never questioned or criticized who and what I am: I could not even find the words to do it to him. His friendship has been unquestionable in all the years I know him. He knows that if ever he needs me for anything, I am here for him. There are no questions asked, not qualifiers, no explanations necessary.

I was Phil’s best man, and he was mine. When I lost my son, he was there, when he lost his daughter, I hurried to be with him. When a stranger can come into a home, and for the first time be introduced, and immediately loved by those that dwell there, then you know you have someone special. After all these years, he is still special.

We have found dates for each other, we have dated people we know together, we have gotten drunk together, and we have even danced together. I’m crazy, and he’s crazier, when I see him after a while, my level of excitement reaches unattainable heights because I know something good is going to happen. When he leaves, so does that excitement, like an inflated balloon.

He has been nothing if fun, he’s made me into a lunatic, and I love him for it.

No comments: