Thursday, March 03, 2011

WHO CARES?



A few years ago I started a feature for this blogue called WCIIF? Or ‘Who cares it isn’t Friday?’ The point of the feature was to demonstrate the fact that I had the freedom of being retired and was relatively free to do and feel as I wished.

Where most working people dread the Sunday night blues, and love Friday because they have two days to begin feeling the Sunday night blues! One day was the same to me as the next, and as the day was before. A wonderful feeling if I do say so myself.

Recently I went out to my local small convenience store to purchase some rolls for breakfast for the week, and when I got there, the rolls hadn’t arrived yet! (Not at all convenient!) I just turned around and went home, and planned to return in about 40 minutes. After 40 minutes, I said out loud to myself: (I’m the only one that talks to me it seems) “Ok one more shot at it.” The sentence was caught immediately by the thought police, or TLW (The Little Woman).

“What do you mean: OK, one more shot at it”?

I explained what had happened earlier and she said: “Well, you are certainly taking it calmer than usual!”

“I am?”

“Yes, you would be grumbling and pounding your chest.” (A rather large exaggeration on her part)

“Well, I don’t think so, but anyway, I’m retired, I don’t care. I don’t have to go to work, so why get upset. You know, since I retired, my whole demeanor has changed for the better. I’m a newer, calmer me!”

“Yes, so I noticed!”

Her sarcasm aside, her suspicious nature aside, even her remote control possession and hogging the blankets at night aside, I think I always was a rather compliant and controlled person. Having grown up with 4 sisters will do that to you, and living under the fear of retribution from Mom’s dreaded wooden spoon teaches you how to deal with pain and disappointment. Now, having a wife, without a wooden spoon, but with all the training of an FBI interrogation squad at her disposal, I go with the flow.

“Yes, dear!” is my mantra.

No comments: