Sunday, March 20, 2011

THE SUNSHINE GIRL


If you ever feel depressed, then you should request an audience with my daughter. If you ever feel bad about yourself, meet Ellen, and you realize how lucky you are, and how shallow you can be when there are people with bigger problems than your own, who smile through their issues.

Today Ellen has a birthday, and to honor her as a woman, I won’t tell you how old she is, but I will tell you she is a big part of my life. When I go to pick her up for dinner on Sundays and holidays, I can sense her radar picking me up. She knows I’m around, and the excitement level rises.

Suddenly, her face breaks into the recognition phase, and then the huge smile phase, the one I look forward to. She rushes you like a linebacker, and starts the process of turning you around to take her out to the car. Coat or no coat: “Let’s go Daddy.”

I have been trying to get her to say “Daddy” or even “Dada” but all she says is: “Mumma”. However, last Father’s day or my birthday, she did say: “DaDaDa!”

The first ever I saw her face, I happened to be in a hospital elevator, the doors opening, as I was going up to see TLW (The Little Woman) for the first time after having Ellen. My beautiful new daughter was in an incubator being transported to the maternity ward where she would stay for a few days like all the new born.

I remember something my mother said to me that made me feel very happy. Having four sisters, two of which already had children, said: “How nice to see ‘DelBloggolo’ as the name! Yes, she was the first to carry the name, and I was so proud of her, I had a headache the rest of the day.

And so today, as I look back so many years ago, I see someone who I love so much it hurts, who loves me back, and is happy to see me, as I am she. Like all my kids, she looks not in my hands for what I got, but in my face for who I am!

Happy Birthday Sweetie,
Love,
Mom and Dad

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful!
ss-i-l