Saturday, March 07, 2020

I’M STILL LEARNING!


Almost 75-years old and I still am a student. The lesson being learned is how to live and communicate with my daughter.

As she lies in the bed of the Medford Multicare facility, she has become a major problem to feed. If you bring the spoon to her abruptly, she becomes defensive and refuses to take it. This behavior mirrors when a person other than my wife or me comes near her and she becomes defensive.

This issue of defensiveness on her part has vexed me for years, and I never realized that it held a solution in all this madness! Then suddenly at her breakfast, it struck me! If I took the spoon to her without warning, she refused to take it. However, if I first showed her the spoon, let her realize what it is, she willingly took the spoon by opening her mouth wide for me.

Once I realized the fact that she needed more time, suddenly the whole morning and the feeding process became lighter, joyful and a relief!

She is 48-years old this month, I am 75-years old in July and she is still teaching me!

No comments: