Tuesday, March 31, 2020

VENTURING OUT

Only half-way there!

Feeling blest
We finally broke our self-imposed rule of quarantine to venture out to Costco, to get the almighty goods that will sustain us until the plague lifts, if we are around that long. Of course, I have to think this out in my head, visiting all four corners of it to come up with a well-organized plan, something that would rival the planning of ‘Operation Overlord”!

Into my Rav-4 TLW and I journey to Sayville and with trepidation and worry arrive at Costco. As we enter the parking lot I hear: “Oh my God! Look at the line!!!” Well-spoken lines y TLW (The Little Woman)

We discuss what we will do at this point, park with the toilet paper deprived and go to the end of a ½ mile line keeping each person and cart 6’ apart, or go piece-meal for items at the local marts.

I park near the center of the building and a cart park and we stroll all around the building. It is cold and cloudy with winds that whip you into order. Once we get to our place of line, my mind begins the process of understanding what is happening. Slowly, people fall-in behind us with their carts face masked and wearing gloves. I wonder where these facemasks are coming from, isn’t there a shortage of masks? I’m handing out plastic gloves I give to my wife and myself as we touch the basket, she hands me a Handy wipe she has made for the occasions such as this.

Cars are streaming into the large parking lot by the dozens, and our line begins to move about 20 to 30 paces at a time, every 5 to 8 minutes. We have arrived at about 8:00 AM, a special hour for people who are senior citizens. The line ahead is ½ mile long.

As I chat or listen to TLW, I see a few Coronavirus bugs in my mind, whizzing by my head, causing me to duck and dodge as we commiserate and wonder why to spell check considers Coronavisus two words and TV and the press doesn’t.

Suddenly, an elder gentleman jumps off the line afraid to wait and decided he wants to die on time and not prematurely. I scorn him because I know that when he does croak, he won’t have any toilet paper to leave to his grandkids by jumping off the line.

As I look up the line, I see another gentleman about 85-years old, slowly shuffling toward the end of the line probably having left his home sometime last night.

Finally, we arrive at the entrance, a staff person hands us a paper towel to wipe down the cart that I gratefully accept. People are passing us by as we casually stroll down the aisle toward the toilet paper section, determined to reach their objective. We head to what is important: steak, pistachio nuts, coffee pods, and then, toilet paper. As we come to the section where the paper is stored and there is a tape barrier. There is a line behind the barrier and we fall in. Passing the barrier we find the toilet paper and by a few rolls. We are blest! God is good! And, to top it all off, we even buy a few boxes of facial tissues. Can this all be? Is this but a dream?

Surprisingly, as we leave the store we notice that it is not overcrowded, and the self-checkouts are empty!

I come with my wagon to the exit where they check your receipt and behind a small plastic booth stood a man, I ask for two mezzanine seats, and he smiles at me.  I wonder if most shoppers were asking for loge.

Leaving the store we stroll along the long line waiting outside when I notice this one guy peering into my basket looking at MY toilet paper. “Scott toilet paper!” he says. “Yes, and I use both sides of it, too!”

No comments: