Friday, March 13, 2020

ON THE BEACH

On the Beach is a 1957 post-apocalyptic novel written by British author Nevil Shute.

The reason I mention it is not to offer a review but to offer a comparison, no matter how dark it is. The story is about the world after nuclear war the year before. In a capsule, people are dying from the nuclear fallout that occurred in the Northern Hemisphere and traveled the world by the winds of weather and war.

It touches on the different people and how they prepare for their deaths both collectively and singularly. The sense of people dropping and or disappearing from the Earth as a result of the nuclear radiation is casting off a familiar feeling today.

Why mention this?

Recently, the suspension of life in many forms due to the Coronavirus has left me with the feeling that doomsday is at hand. Schools close, my daughter’s nursing home is closed to visitors until further notice, professional sports has canceled their seasons until further notice, the stock market has sunk to the lowest of depths, colleges and schools have suspended classes and the medical field is overwhelmed and understaffed and inadequately funded to deal with the pandemic called Coronavirus.

I went to a local convenience store last night and found panic buying, milk is flying off the shelves, and even cake is in short supply!

To add to it all is my daughter and her battle to survive. If you mix it all together, it is indeed dark and dreary, frightening in fact.

These are the dark days, I am afraid to make lunch or dinner dates, I canceled my flight to California this month out of fear and precaution, I will miss La Principessa, my beautiful granddaughter, Darby’s birthday for the first time in her young and beautiful life. I will also miss my little guy, Bobby D, aka Muscoli Marinara, my grandson.



No comments: