Saturday, August 11, 2012

WHAT PRICE FREEDOM?


Many years ago while in high school, I became keenly aware of the political scene and politicians in general. The world was less complicated but just as volatile and dangerous. In America it was simple, you were either a Republican or a Democrat. I remember the vibrant and eloquent speeches of JFK and the stern stone like qualities of Richard M. Nixon.  Being young I was swept away with the exuberance of Kennedy’s youth, his beautiful wife Jackie and the way he spoke of youth and vigor being the tools of tomorrow.

Then as I got a little older, had children and started paying taxes in the real world, some of JFK’s luster wore off, some of the things he said no longer held true for me and I questioned the whole philosophy. And so it went in cycles for me, trying to identify with one party or the other, one philosophy or another. It didn’t make any sense as I realized I was being a party hack and supporting things I didn’t believe in.

I would hear from the left or right, with opinions strong about one particular issue and how they would try to sell me by criticizing Liberals or Conservatives in negative terms and assuming I would agree with them.

Today I have come to realize we in this country are missing the boat. We are labeling ourselves, taking up sides and following blindly, without forethought without a philosophy of our own, because we may have one issue we strongly believe in, and overlook every other issue out there of equal importance.

I have spoken out about many issues and support both liberal and conservative causes. I have decided about thirty years ago not to support any party any more than the other. Why because I disagree as well as agree with both. Some of us want abortion and some of us don’t. Some of us want the death penalty and some of us don’t, some favor gay marriage and some are opposed. Some see a need for more taxation for the rich: some think it stifles growth. All are burning issues and all have generated opinions of great fervor and passion.

There is a thing that comes out every four years: it is the party platform of each of the political parties. It lists all the things they are in favor of. I don’t agree with all the things. I never have and probably never will.

We need to start thinking for ourselves, we need to start creating our own platform, so we know where we stand. We can’t be afraid to list things truthfully, and we can’t afford anymore to follow blindly, when a party platform stands for things we really don’t want. Labels are not helping us think. Perhaps the reason why the candidates this coming election: like they have been for years are so poor is because they are locked into the platform, and not thinking about what is important to the voters. Maybe if we demanded better thinking from the candidates, threw out the party affiliations and said: Look what you say is more important than what party you represent, and if you are elected, what you do will be more important than what you said I will continue to vote for you. No candidate in this world is perfect. If you think that is wrong, I think you are fooling yourself. I have seen too many perfect candidates come apart, from FDR to BO, it is all BS plain and simple. They get on their bandwagon and preach the lies they do and we blindly follow the garbage because they are either: liberal or conservative, not necessarily right or wrong.

All too long I have heard the complaints about the poor quality of politicians and all too long we are the reason they exists. We need to stop acting like sheep and start acting for ourselves when we consider them. We need to stop parroting and buying into everything these phonies say and start demanding the truth: what is wrong, why is it wrong and how do we fix it for everyone. Most importantly, we need politicians that can compromise on issues and not oppose on party grounds, but because someone is wrong morally, and support not because of liberalism or conservatism, but because of what is morally right.

I apologize for this discourse, but I love my country and all of us in it, I want only the best for us all.

5 comments:

Laura ESL Teacher said...

Well-written, insighful, and true! It's a shame that things have come to this. In some respects, things have become so divided I almost think sometimes people are voting against one candidate/political party/cause rather than for a candidate/party/cause.

Anonymous said...

Great blogue!

-#1 Son

Jim Pantaleno said...

I love our country too and will vote for anyone in either party who will get us away from the insane spending that will soon bankrupt us. We need to get people to think about realizing their potential and relying on themselves instead of government for everything they get. Labels don't matter to me, I just want responsible government from any quarter.

Joseph Del Broccolo said...

That's what we need: "Responsible government" for a change.

Anonymous said...

You make several powerful points. JDBfor president!!
SS-I-L