Tuesday, July 31, 2007

MY DAY HAS COME, I SEE

Way back in the nineties, I was doing a lot of work around the house one weekend, and being how I injured my foot in a car accident way back in ’67, it started to hurt and go stiff, so I had to rely on a cane to help me walk. This pain usually lasts one or two days and this particular time it lasted three days.

Having to go to work that Monday, I took my cane and got in the car and started to drive, it being a clear and sunny summer day, I had on my sunglasses and was playing with the cane, kind of leaning on it while driving.

The drive was the usual bumper to bumper on a summer Monday from the crowd going back to the city after a few days out east. All of a sudden on the radio came Stevie Wonder, and with him, inspiration!

I decided to act blind and drive my car, holding up the handle of the cane with my sunglasses on, trying to look very blind and scare my fellow motorists into getting off the road.

For added inspiration I sang one of Stevie’s hits out loud and drove, hunched forward, like I was looking for the front of the car.

Needless to say my plan didn’t work, but I had the hardest time trying not to laugh and are you ready for this? Look blind.”

Now this was a married father of four, amusing himself because of boredom. A man with a responsible job, a member of a board of directors, never once worried about who might see me that I know. Why do I tell you this? Because I am retired, and frankly Scarlett, I don’t give a damn.

By the way, it’s Josh Groban, not Gragan like I said in my previous blog. But that’s another blog, right #1 Son?

joedelbroccolo@yahoo.com

No comments: