Friday, September 07, 2007

GETTING THE CORRECT TERMS PROPER


Lying on a gurney, intravenous sticking in my arm, and oxygen tubes up my nose, the nurse standing next to me is relating a sad story about how another nurse would not be in this morning. Someone asked why, and the nurse stated the individual had a “booboo on her tushie”.

Looking up at the nurse, waiting for the colonoscopy to begin, I suggested to the nurse that she should use the proper medical terms for what ailed the absent nurse. “Oh, I’m sorry, it is just too early in the morning for me to get it out. She is suffering from a hemo(somethingorother) on her tush. “That’s better said I, and continued to wait.

A second nurse instructed me that “in the end” I would pass a lot of gas, and I told her that I have been in rehearsal for years. Got a good laugh out of that one.

I was interviewed prior to entering the procedure room, and one of the questions was if I could tolerate a lot of pain. “Yes,” I replied, “I have a nineteen year old living with me.”

I must say, after a restless, starving night of sleep, of tossing, turning and you know what, once they injected me with the sleep sauce, I slept like a baby, (No, I didn’t wet the bed) and requested they give me another shot of it and have TLW (The Little Woman) come back around 5:00 PM to bring me home.

Of course my doctor, Rear Admiral Spielberg waltzed in asking how I was this morning, and all I could think of is fine, just waiting for you to earn more money for another Mediterranean cruise.

And so, true to my promise yesterday, TLW and I went to breakfast at Maureen’s Kitchen for some eggs and sausage and toast with coffee and milk in it!

All get-well wishes may be sent to joedelbroccolo@yahoo.com or,
Mail them in with a nice bit of cash. No personal checks, please.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful legal high we get from this! Its my favorite part and makes it well worth it!