Wednesday, September 26, 2007

I’M JUST A TRAVELING MAN

Yes indeed, it‘s that time of the year to pack my bags and hit the road. Being a member of the Suffolk Chapter Association for the Help of Retarded Children, and consequently a member of the Board of Governors of NYSARC (New York State Association of Retarded Children) I have to make a few trips.

First off will be a trip to Suffern NY, on Saturday for a Southeastern Regional meeting, then in the middle of October a trip to Albany for a state convention, then as Chair of the Guardianship Committee, a trip to Saratoga Springs NY.

What I love about these trips is the meeting and evaluation of new people and their approach to these meetings. Some are old-timers, pros who know everyone, and do their best to greet all. Then there are my favorites. People, who come to their first meeting, stand off to the side; keep a low profile, and just watch. They are hesitant to speak up, self-conscious and timid. My kind of people.

What I like to do is engage them in conversation about some mundane and obscure aspect of the issues at large and watch them try out how they can respond to the issue without tipping their hand. Usually someone will come over to me, to say “Hello” and I will introduce the rookie, and “quote” him to the pro on something that will impress the pro, then walk away while my old friend engages the poor bastard in more conversation that is over the rookie’s head.

Am I mean? No, just forcing the issues and getting people out of their shells, and I don’t charge for the giggles I get out of it.

Should I stop doing it? Probably. Will I? Probably not.

Pray for me and send your prayers to:
joedelbroccolo@yahoo.com

PS, a heathen I happen to know, who is very happy about our new German Pope, supplies the photos at the top.

No comments: