Sunday, September 09, 2007

JUST WHEN I THOUGHT IT WAS SAFE…

To take a nap, the phone rings.

Me: “EEYEllow?”
Phone: “May I speak with Joe Del Broccolo?”
Me: (Exasperatedly) who’s calling?
Phone: “Joe? Joe Del Broccolo?”
Me: “Yes!?”
Phone: “Tom, Tom Bass.”
Me; “TOM, TOM BASS!! HOW THE HELL ARE YOU?”

Tom is an old buddy of mine from my days at Publishers Clearing House. Tom was in charge of print production and had an offer to make.

Apparently, he is in cahoots with another former PCHer named Darrell Lester, a marketing man.

To make a sad and long story short, I have to come out of mothballs, as my service is now needed once again. I will meet with them and another old buddy and partner from PCH for lunch Wednesday at the Café Testarossa in Syosset for a business meeting and lunch.

It kind of tickles me to know that people still want me, even a year after I retired. Besides, it will keep my hand in it a little while not getting dirty. If it gets crazy, I can always stop doing it. But making those headlines sing on the old outer envelope, the joy of leading people into a letter with a potent Johnson Box, a snappy slick brochure extolling the virtues of whatever it is I’m helping sell will be just fine, one more time.

Well, I think I’ll take a nap to celebrate my mini return, and you dear reader can direct your comments to either the Direct Marketing Association or to:
joedelbroccolo@yahoo.com

No comments: