Tuesday, August 07, 2007

STARBUCKS IN THEIR EYES

Attending a meeting the night before with a couple of hundred other members of the Board of Governors, I had a drink prior to the cocktail hour, stood around making small talk for an hour, dinner and then a meeting that lasted until 10:30 P.M. Following a “nightcap” with my fellow board members before retiring for the to my room for the evening it was now 11:30 P.M.

I climbed into bed and watched the hours drift by, watching the digital turn of the hours, moving about restlessly, afraid at one point of falling asleep and missing my meeting, or worst still, my breakfast. I arose early, about 5:30 A.M., and decided to get a cup of coffee to start my day along. The night before was rough and I hadn’t sleep well in the strange bed at the Marriott in Albany.

Looking around the room I noticed that there was no coffee pot or coffee maker of any kind in view and decided to go down to the lobby and look for some coffee. I showered and dressed and rode the elevator down to hopefully brighten my day and awaken from the lack of sleep.

Finding a Starbucks and being a cheap SOB, I decide on a small coffee, which Starbucks calls large as oppose to their giant size. The price says $2.25, I order the coffee and the gal rings it up, I give the woman $3.00, and she gives me 6ç change! I check the sign, its still $2.25, I enquire as to the discrepancy; she acts surprise, and checks the sign. “Oops!” she says and corrects herself by giving me .75ç change.

Trying to recover from the sticker shock of the overpriced coffee whatever it is they charged, I find a nice quiet spot in the lobby to just sit and sip. Thinking: “Almost $100 for a cup of lousy coffee, I sip a little. All of a sudden a high school girl comes over with a suitcase and stands by my chair. Soon two more and they start arriving in twos and threes, with luggage, ipods, laptops, sodas, candy bars all at 6:15 A.M.! I’m thinking; “all I want to do is drink my $200 cup of coffee.”

The noise level increases as I think I fell I’m in the 7th Avenue subway stop of the E Train in Manhattan, and with my $300 cup of coffee go back to my room, purchasing a newspaper as I go by the desk.

I juggle my $400 cup of coffee and find my key card to enter the room, and throw the paper down on the couch, and open the doors for the first time on the TV Armoire. I almost drop my $500 cup of coffee! There sitting next to the TV is a coffee maker and two packets of instant coffee, with cups and CoffeeMate! And to think I paid $600 for a lousy cup of stinking Starbuck Coffee!

joedelbroccolo@yahoo.com

No comments: