Saturday, August 18, 2007

THE INSPECTOR GENERAL…

TLW (The Little Woman) is a tough customer. It seems that she has to make suggestions that could be fatal. The other night I was making a salad and she comes up to my sphere of influence to offer a suggestion! Now I don’t mind suggestions, even when she tells me to go shit in my hat. However I like an educated consumer, especially one that is consuming what I make for dinner at night.

Preparing a salad, and being in the first phase, the dry phase I call it, there in the bottom of the prep bowl was chopped fresh garlic and hand picked fresh basil. These are essential ingredients to any of my Italian style garden salads. TLW comes up to me, looks in the bowl and announces that I should also put in basil! Yes, you read that right. Basil. Butting in and bossing me around again, TLW was in fine form.

I calmly stated that there was basil in the bowl already. (I really don’t like to be questioned, and find it irritating when someone tells me the obvious.)

TLW: “Oh, I though it was parsley.”

Parsley?! IN MY SALADS!

The kind and loving man that I am, gently and calmly informed her that I would never put parsley in my salads.

I could hear a distant voice, almost a murmur in the wind that said: “GO SHIT IN YOUR HAT, FATHEAD.”

If this is not enough to shut down the DelBloggolo Culinary Institute, I must leave open any cookbook I use to make a dish, so she, TLW can review the points allocated per serving, the calories, and how many the recipe serves.

All fat content becomes extremely scrutinized as she questions my ability to follow that part of the recipe.

Imagine.

Although she compliments most things I cook for her every evening, it does leave me unsettled that she would question my fat integrity. And to think with my cooking, following recipes that she selected from her books, she has lost over 35 pounds! Could I be cheating?

I for one rest my case, while I find a clean hat.

joedelbroccolo@yahoo.com
Your comments are welcomed at this address.

No comments: