Saturday, February 07, 2009

FEELING ONE’S PAIN

Today I met a woman, who has three children, two boys and a girl. The reason for the meeting was that I am seeking as much knowledge as I can on autism, and autistic children. This woman, Isabella, is a lovely lady with great passion and love for her children. That shouldn’t surprise anyone who knows a mom or two. Isabella has two autistic boys, one is 19 one a little younger.

The Growing Incidence of Autism

In the last decade, there has been an explosion in the number of new cases of autism-related disorders. The Autism Society of America estimates between 500,000 and 1.5 million people in the United States alone have a disorder on the autism spectrum, with an estimated 75% of these between the ages of 3 to 13 years. Whereas the incidence was 5 in 10,000 for many years, now some studies are pointing to 1 in 149 births (CDC, 2000); researchers and families are struggling to discern if this is truly an epidemic or due to better diagnosis.

My thirst for this knowledge is in that I have a nephew, Sammy, who was diagnosed with the problem, and my agency, Suffolk AHRC, is about to enter the field. As I Board of Directors member, and an uncle, I feel compelled to know.

I met with Isabella because I need to know what she feels, how she handles things, what is out there for her and her husband Bill, and their three children. Autism will affect all three children, both directly and indirectly. I wish to fight it as best I can, and I need the knowledge to do so.

Isabella has given me great insight into autism. Isabella is a brave woman. I must admit: it was an emotional meeting for the both of us. We shared as well as we gave, we took in as much as we could give. Today she was a teacher. I learned that affliction of your child is the same for all parents. We take it, we bear it, we try and we cry. We look for answers and search for help.

I know that the agency will be an effective tool for combating this nasty affliction, and bringing help to those that need it. The staff at the agency is professional, loving, and caring. They give it their all. It is a very high standard for the board members to follow. I will give it a try.

Too much is unknown about ‘the spectrum of autism’. It is a very difficult thing to pin down, and more difficult to deal with. Isabella’s sons are fortunate that they have a great set of parents. Parents who recognize the importance of working openly with autism and seeking help where they can find it.

Bill, the dad, is a wonderful man who keeps a fiscal eye on things for the agency, and one of the hardest working people we have at the agency. For all the years I know the guy, he never let on to anyone he had this personal cross to bear! Between Bill and Isabella, we can all learn about how to deal with private pain.

Today, I also received an email from my sister Mary Ann, telling me that Hospice was called today for DD, that little girl I have been asking you to all pray for. Please, remember her in your prayers, she really needs us now.

No comments: