Thursday, February 19, 2009

THE ^$%#(*@ ‘C’ WORD!

As I said before, this blog is about me, and those I love and care about. I try to be upbeat, make people chuckle, and most importantly, laugh at or with me. But things aren’t always rosy; sometimes I get news that makes me sick, unhappy or angry. Yesterday was all three.

I was out all morning on Wednesday, and when I returned there was a message on my machine that I dreaded. It was from my sister Theresa, about her husband John. Her message didn’t relay any information, but I suspected something was up by the way she spoke. I gave her a call, and my Brother-in-law John answered.

John has had some annoying little cough, and we thought it was bird flu! Turns out it wasn’t. Now here is the lesson we need to all learn. My sister and her husband were smart enough to pursue the reasons for the cough, and make the doctors do all kinds of test, including a biopsy of a suspected spot on John’s lung. John has cancer!

When John answered, he sounded upbeat with a reserved air. He told me, matter of fact like, and even joked. He didn’t cry: ‘Why me!’ John is my older brother. It may be through marriage, but that is the highest honor I could give anyone. I don’t have biological brothers, but John sure made up for that.

I think, hope and pray that it is caught in time. I think it was, due to good foresight and intelligence. For a change, John will do for himself. He is going to Sloan-Kettering for additional opinion and hopefully, treatment.

John knows all his family and friends are pulling for him. What he doesn’t know, or maybe he does, is that he doesn’t need us as much as we need him!

Please remember John, DD and all those that need our prayers.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

please send John's full name and address.
Angela M

Anonymous said...

WE NEED MORE JO-JO'S IN THIS WORLD YOU ARE THE BEST!!! WE LOVE YOU
YOUR YOUNGER SISTER AND JOHN