Wednesday, April 15, 2020

DARE I?

It is Easter Sunday as I write this, after a nice walk in the neighborhood to free me from the confines of the pandemic.

It is deceivingly beautiful outdoors with a slightly brisk wind that fills the sunshiny day. As I walk I see my neighbor and she greets me as I greet her, tipping my cap. We both smile as we pass each other at about 30 feet apart. She is on the sidewalk and I walk in the street, accommodating the suggestions of Dr. Fauci and the governor.

As I sweep through the area at a slow and steady pace, a little old lady across the street passes me by as she is going in my direction. I should be embarrassed by it all, but frankly, I don’t give a damn.

There is a strangeness in this activity today, there is no sense of life or activity until I pass one house where a woman is outside complaining to her husband, giving him orders and directing him about. Under the shade cast driveway, she points and wearing a mask, gives me a steady look. I wonder if she is hostile or just plain nosey. Maybe she is the witch of Easter Present?

Although the streets are clear of traffic there seems to be an annoyingly loud sound that breaks the stillness of the mid-morning stroll, the sound coming from a motorcycle as it runs by me, not once, but twice. The cyclist is breaking the peace and tranquility as I muse over the things I want to think about.

Having been in the house inactive, the walk has done me some good as I stretch and move my bones, old as they are, to free myself body and soul, and think about my lasagna dinner waiting for me later this afternoon!

Life certainly seems dull today.

No comments: