Sunday, April 19, 2020

WHAT IT TAKES

Amid the self-quarantine because of the COVID-19, one thing seems to be certain.

Way back almost 50-years ago I stood at the altar of St. Mary’s Roman Catholic Church in Easy Islip and watched TLW (The Little Woman) and her dad march down the aisle toward me. I dreamt of a life of serenity, peace, joy, and love, and even tranquility. In the ensuing years, something happened that happens to all newlywed for the most part…  kids.

I remember thinking how happy I will be living with the love of my life, just the two of us, then… kids. But the kids were a great event starting with my little girl and finalizing with my youngest son. They made our life as a couple of fun, interesting, and challenging. There was great joy and sorrow, but my children are implanted in our hearts and I will never change that love.

Now, amid the self-quarantine because of the COVID-19, one thing is certain as I share the space of my home with just TLW, life is indeed good. The union is strong and the hope is alive for tomorrow.  We have co-hebetated and have not so far killed each other. We both assume tasks without the others requesting, yet will offer to do without the other's request.

One thing about this stay-in-doors national movement is that it feels good to me. Aside from wanting desperately to see my children and grandchildren once again, I am happy to spend the days with TLW, the once upon a dream I had when we married is now a reality, whether I wanted it this way or not.

No comments: