Wednesday, April 08, 2020

WHY I TELL THOSE JOKES


Recently, someone complained to me that all my stories make it sound like Super Mario and that I shouldn’t make fun of other countries. He happens to come from another country and feels insulted.

My intent is not to make fun of Italy, and nowhere in my jokes do I, but I do have fun with the accent that comes with immigration and its effect on my life. The people who spoke broken English loved me, they gave me many names of affection, physically said I love you with a pinch on my facial cheeks, kisses that seemed endless, and stories that they themselves told to me with their precious accents.

Many a time Mom would laugh at herself, as did my grandmother telling stories about themselves from long ago.

I had an uncle, Uncle Joe, who may be the inspiration for many of my stories. Putting on his Italian accent Uncle Joe would tell a story and have a room filled with relatives and me pitching forward in hysterics, it was his gift. I love all those sweet moments I recall. I had aunts that would open their mouths and you had no choice but to pay attention and prepare for your sides to hurt, their reactions to themselves and their predicaments.

But most of all, I could hear the laughter, the laughter I am told you have when you read my stories. Hearing how you feel about the joke makes me connect to Mom and Dad, Aunt Angie or Aunt Tessie, Grandma or Grandpa and then I don’t feel so bad about missing the people I love, because, you people fill that void.

I love you all!

No comments: