Friday, June 26, 2020

BREAKING FREE

Recently, my wife Ellen, and I celebrated 49 years together. Being it is a national stay at home order, we found the event somewhat watered down. No party or joyful experiences that occurred outside the home, as we anticipated, then they went into phase two and the r4estaurants were seating people outside at their venues.

49 years is a long time to be with someone but it went fast, in spite of deaths, illness, and schisms that have evolved over the years. The joy and rewards of being with my wife far exceed anything else. So, how to make an anniversary festive, if it is already meaningful? I brave the new world of COVID-19 and adjust to the new normal. I make a reservation for a favorite restaurant that is seating outside as it fights to come back to the reality that it needs to be working to survive.

In the sleepy little village of Bellport, NY, the home of some celebrities and my home town, there sits on Main Street near the four corners an old building. It was once called the White Horse Inn, and as a young man, I often fantasized about dining there. I got married and we did, then, over the years the ownership and name changed. It is now known as Avino’s Italian Table, and it has on the past visits, either lunch or dinners been spectacular, so, off we went.

Our reservation was for 5:00 PM on a perfect sunny afternoon under a tent. The sun shone brightly, the sky was clear blue and a gentle breeze made our stay exhilarating as we sipped cocktails and talked, mostly about anything except our children since this was a night off.

Dining outside can be a pleasure as we experienced that evening. It was the first time under the restrictions and we wore our masks to the hostess and remove them once we were seated. The staff however wore theirs and did a tremendous job of seeing to it that we were happy, which we were. The only thing I found disheartening was the main course as my wife and I experienced disappointment. Their usual fare at Avino’s was sub-par. It taste4d like they are resorting to what many restaurants that go out of business do cut corners, and it tasted like it.

I hope they can clean up their act and make everything fresh as it should be. I don’t know if the chef had a bad night or the pressure of serving food under new conditions it the reason.

No comments: