Monday, June 15, 2020

THE CORONA LADY STEPS OUT!

Since my haircut a few days ago, TLW (The Little Woman) has been dripping with envy over my new look. “GOOD for you!” she stated when I called from the barbershop that I was involved in a tonsorial event.

She made a phone call in retaliation and finally got her hairdresser, ‘Vita’ the stay-at-home hairdresser, virus or no virus. Virus Vita has been ahead of the curve before the Ebola crisis and so even though no one has shown up in three months at her place for her snipping, she hasn’t lost much of her touch.

TLW called and scheduled an appointment for Sunday at 8:30 AM, and in her joy, TLW announced that fact to me, rather enthusiastically.

“DID YOU HEAR THAT? SUNDAY AT 8:30 AM, FINALLY… I WILL HAVE MY HAIR DONE!”

Sunday morning comes and as she is fixing breakfast, asked ‘Siri’ to set the timer for 15 minutes. About halfway through
the time, TLW asked Siri how much time was left.

“SIRI, HOW MUCH TIME IS LEFT?” One must yell at Siri to get her attention and frankly, I don’t understand why what does she have that prevents her from paying attention? I’d hate to think Apple sold us a hard of hearing Siri.

“Do you mean how much time is left for HIM or on the timer? If you mean HIM, is he still around, if not about 8 minutes!”

TLW was getting closer to the time for departure for VIRUS VITA, virus or no virus. There was a special lift in her step, and a grove in her walk as she glided around the kitchen floor with what seemed to be the grace and timing of the Vienna Waltz or Blue Danube. Her eyes seemed to focus on something far away, the perpetual smile like a set of my mother’s rosary beads draped across her hands, this was big. Breakfast could not come soon enough, the magic hour of transformation close at hand.

The time came for her to leave me as I looked out the window and I heard the words to
Randy Van Warmer’s song: ‘Just When I Needed You Most’. As she disappeared into the Sunday morning sunrise I tried to console myself with a recorded version of Gunga Din, one of Dad’s favorite movies, he loved the character Gunga Din because he was an underdog and he loved the actor who portrayed him, Sam Jaffe, who in later years appeared on Ben Cagey. (Casey) Vince Edwards happens to be a cousin of mine on Mom’s side. But Dad’s favorite was not alone as there was Eduardo Ciannelli who plays the Guru, an “Italian Boy!”
 
But soon after the movie, suddenly at the main door stood the new Mrs.D resplendent in her new do, a smile on her face and Siri asking ‘sirious’ questions. I can’t flaunt my haircut anymore. How sad.

No comments: