Friday, July 09, 2010

AM I THE ONLY ONE GETTING OLD?



As I look at her, I wonder how she stays that way! I marvel at her youthful looks and wonderful smile, and think: “Why did she ever stay with ME?” Each year that goes by, she underplays the significance of her big day, her birthday, instead thinks of it as any other day, married to that maniac.

If she has an issue with me, she calmly sits down and tells me. I listen and understand. I know I’m not perfect, but I know it takes a lot to be calm and discuss, but she IS an adult that I respect and love. She bore four beautiful children that I love, each for their own merits, although I wonder sometimes if they understand me?

We have spent more that a lifetime together as a couple, and never doubted our commitment or devotion to one another. She is all business and I am not. She sees life in black and white and I see it differently. That makes us mesh well, and so we try to spend our time trying to convince each other to change.

Today she is a bit older and a whole lot wiser. But she was always wise, always forgiving and always there for me. We have been through a great deal, it would make a great novel of sadness and triumph, of the fighting spirit and devotion to her children.

I see her limp when she gets up every now and then and it hurts me. I see her go to work in the morning and wish she would stay home with me. I see another birthday and wish I could turn back the years for her, give her one more years extra to grace this earth.

She has been critical of me as I said before, but never ever has she called me any name or used profanity or abusive language to me or anyone else. She is a real lady, who I was luckY to find. I only hope I make her happy.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TOOTS!

1 comment:

Jim Pantaleno said...

Happy Birthday to TLW. You seem to be the perfect compliment to a very caring guy.