Thursday, July 15, 2010

WHY NOT?



You have all been there before; you purchase something, and ask when it will be delivered. The salesman gives you a date and says: they will notify you a few days in advance. You must be home for the delivery.

I get a call, automated no less, giving me a window of expectation.

“Beep… you delivery will occur on… beep… Thursday, July 8, at… beep… between the hours of: 11:00 am and 2:00 pm beep.”

Thursday comes, and TLW (The Little Woman) reminds me that the delivery is expected today. I say yes I am aware, between 11:00 am and 2:00 pm.

I go into my basement to work on a woodcarving to stain the wood, and it is only 9:00 am. “Good” I think to myself, two whole hours before they even show up.

I take out the can of stain, uncover the wood project and dip a rag into the stain. I apply the stain for not one short second when…

Knock, knock, and knock. I hear this emanating from my front door.

I think” “Now, WHO the hell can that be?”

I go up and investigate, my fingers stained with walnut stain, and I see a big guy standing outside the door. I know who it is. If I were to wait to stain the wood until after they came, I would be waiting until 5:00 pm! But no, they heard me take out the stain and made a u-turn on the LIE and came directly to my house.

OK, they are early, that isn’t too bad. They struggle with the furniture bringing it upstairs and around a bend, and I think, “ha my revenge for coming so early!”

My hands are still wet from the stain when I go to sign off on the delivery. I realize I will stain their paperwork, and instinctly… lick my fingers!

Thank you a beepingly whole lot!

No comments: