Friday, July 02, 2010

WHO IS THAT KID?


I distinctly remember the phone call like it was yesterday! I swear it was yesterday, because it was not that long ago, besides, you know I don’t exaggerate.

It was my birthday, on a muggy hot Friday morning like it was when I was born. On the other end of the phone was my older sister Tess (a lot older) and she had called to tell me she was now a grandmother! “Guess what, I’m a grandmother! And on YOUR birthday!”

Mom taught me to share, but I didn’t know even that had to be shared! “It’s a boy! His name is Stephen!”

That was yesterday, today he graduated High school! Grew up right in front of all our eyes and became a college student! No kindergarten, or elementary school, in fact, no high school to talk about. Since both his parents are teachers, I guess they decided to just give him the diploma and be done with it.

Actually, he comes from two really great people, my niece Laurie, my very first niece, and her husband Gerard. Like his parents Stephen is smart and athletic and very intelligent. He is also very respectful, and a great La Cross player from what I hear, winning a scholarship to play.

In spite of not attending high school and graduating, he was a leader in his class and I won’t brag but tell you this: He probably got all his good stuff from his uncle Joe. There, it is out!

He has some wonderful grandparents in Joe and Joan and Tessie and John. Both sets of grandparents I know are sparkling with pride, and well they should. Stephen restores my faith in this great country, and I know it will stay that way with kids like Stephen who come around every once in a while and dispel the myths about American youth being lazy or drugged.

Congratulations Stephen, you did this all on your own. Sure you have great parents and grandparents as role models, but you did it all on your own, you made all the best choices, and everyone loves you for them, and for one other important fact: You are Stephen O’Hara!

Love, Aunt Ellen, Uncle Joe, Ellen, Anthony, Courtney and Michael!

3 comments:

Fran said...

We are all proud of Stephen! Way to go Stephen!
Love,
Aunt Fran and Uncle Tom

Mary Ann said...

Congratulations Stephen!! We all share in your parents pride!!

Love,
Aunt Mary Ann

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Stephen. And good luck in lacrosse next year. Remember to wear a cup!