Sunday, September 26, 2010

IT HURTS


It really does! I was looking at an old TV show and the people on it were the usual cast of characters that populated the daytime and nighttime TV shows of the 1960’s. They were the main stays that filled the roles that completed the TV shows, making them possible. They weren’t stars in themselves, you didn’t know their names, but they were recognizable.

It made me realize, I am getting old! These people are no longer alive, and if by chance they are, too old to even move!

I remember when a ’57 Chevy was commonplace, when I worried about my hair comb or my looks, or was in secret love with a classmate or two. (Girls)

My biggest fears were that I would embarrass myself, or worse yet, my folks would embarrass me. I tried to stay away from my parents, especially when girls were around. I recall dating as a big production, filled with anticipation and expectations. It was a special time, the girls smelled pretty, and the times were great. A movie house was a special place where my arm fell asleep over the back of the girls chair, and when I relaxed it, it rose on its own, straight up in the air! After that embarrassment, it was off to DiDonato’s and pizza with a coke.

Now I look at things and say: “Who cares?” Did marriage do that to me, or was it old age? Did I lose my sense of excitement? All I know now is that everything hurts. Every time I get up from a chair, it hurts! I go to t a movie, she pays for it, and I don’t care. It comes from the same pot, and I don’t plan on impressing her. But the thought hurts, it makes me realize, the times have changed. I no longer have anyone to impress or make a fuss over. I realize she thinks the same way as I do. It hurts.

So, times have changed, all the fuss is over, throw away the combs, cologne, and fancy clothes, now I only want to be comfortable! But it hurts!

No comments: