Tuesday, September 14, 2010

WHY, OH WHY?


TLW (The Little Woman) and I sat in the restaurant waiting for our drinks. I noticed that that morning in a diner, we tried talking and couldn’t hear each other. The people at a table behind us were talking rather loudly, and the acoustics were the problem. It was not the only problem: the piped in music was as loud as you would care to have it. Our dinner conversation was similarly drowned out by some horrific piped-in music and hearing TLW was very difficult, too! She too was having a difficult time hearing me.

Relating an experience she had in Macy’s, TLW complained that there too the music was intruding and obnoxious, and it made for an unpleasant shopping experience. We both wondered if we were getting too old or the establishment’s personnel were getting too young and doing the music thing.

What I don’t understand is why we need music-playing overhead to begin with? Can’t one enjoy the experience of dining out without trying to strain to hear over the music? What muttonhead determined we must have loud music intrude in the first place? To tell you the truth, I would rather have no music, but if they must, how about soft, low elevator music?

I don’t want to hear screaming men and women and loud bands overhead while I dine. I don’t want to strain to hear, and I certainly don’t want THAT when I’m eating. You go to parties sometimes and again, the loud music so you can’t hear yourself think. WHO NEEDS IT? If you are shopping, and need to concentrate, you want that distraction either. How many of us play music overhead while we eat at home? Oh, I know that the music is so others don’t overhear my conversation, but I don’t talk that loud for them to hear me, and they should extend the same darn courtesy.

SO ENOUGH WITH THE FRIGGEN MUSIC ALREADY!!!!!

No comments: