Sunday, September 05, 2010

PACKING UP IS HARD TO DO


TLW: (The Little Woman) “Michael, are you getting packed to go to school.
#2 Son: “Yes”
TLW: “Did you pack your clothes?”
#2 Son: “sure”
TLW: “I’m coming upstairs to check.”
#2 Son: “You don’t have to.”
TLW”WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO PACK? WE LEAVE TOMORROW!”
#2 Son: “I got plenty of time.”
TLW “Did you take out all your clean clothes from the laundry basket?”
#2 Son: “Sure”
TLW: “Michael, we leave first thing in the morning!”
#2 Son: “Don’t sweat it, it will be done!”

And so the conversation goes, a frantic Mom and a son who takes all the time he wants.

When I left for college, my mother gave me a bag and said: “Put this in the garbage can on your way out!”

So I left with the knowledge that my college career would begin once I put the lid on the garbage can! It can be a confidence builder, since I knew I could now do anything Mom said I could!

I had a brown paper bag, not even plastic in those days, threw in my underwear, a tooth brush, some shirts and pants, a little bit of socks and shaving gear and I was off. I got no snacks, like chips, cans of soda or cookies. No one checked to see if I had everything I needed, and if someone did, I would have resented it. But life goes on, and I am recruited to load the car and disassemble objects that are too bulky to just pop into the car. I remember Dad sleeping through the whole process, and complaining if I made too much noise.

I guess we baby our children too much, are afraid to let them go without all of life’s necessities such as: cookies, towels, their whole wardrobe and half the medicine cabinet.

But to #2 Son’s credit, he couldn’t wait to get rid of us!

1 comment:

Mary Ann said...

Love this picture of Michael! Adorable!